LOCKED IN

I heard an ambulance siren blaring . But, it didn't fade away; it went on. Slowly opening my eyes, I saw that I was indeed inside the ambulance , lying on a stretcher. Mamma and Papa seated beside me. There was something wrong . Mamma was in Papa’s arms crying and for the first time , he did too.
“What happened? Why are you both crying?”, I asked , but neither of them said anything. It was as if they didn't even seem to hear me. I forced myself up and cringed as a sharp pain shot through my abdomen. I looked down. My clothes were drenched in blood and there was a deep wound in my stomach. Strangely, that single shot of pain was all it was. It didn't even hurt anymore.
I got off the stretcher and went towards Mamma and Papa, but something held onto my hand, stopping me. I looked back to see what it was and it was as if i couldn't breathe and my whole body went numb. There, lying on the stretcher was me; the same blood drenched clothes and the same wound in the stomach.
My hand was chained and locked onto my own body on the stretcher. That was what stopped me.
The ambulance stopped and the doors flung open. Mamma and Papa got off and two ward boys rushed in to pull the stretcher out. I tried keeping up with them as they pushed the stretcher towards the emergency operation theatre. The doctor took the pulse of my body and as they took my body in, I was definite that I heard him tell Mamma and Papa,” Her pulse is tremendously low. She has almost left us, but we will…”, and the doors shut.
No, this can't be it. I can’t be actually dead! I thought to myself. Looking at my half dead body that laid on the operation desk, I yelled at myself to get up, only to realize that with each of my loud scream— to the people around me and to myself , the loudness of my voice lowered.
I tried to shake myself up, but as I did, my hand simply passed through my body as if through mist. I kept on screeching hoping someone could hear me only to find myself fail each time and finally, I lost my voice.
I looked at the oscilloscope and there was nothing that I  could do except for watch as the heart rate of my body reduced.
I tried to free myself from the chain’s grasp if only it could help me one way or another. But, the more I tried, the more my wrist bled, however, there wasn't any pain that I could feel and it didn't help at all. I gave up. There wasn't anything that I could do. I knelt and sat down on the ground and then I heard a single loud beep.  The rush in the room increased. I slowly shut my eyes closed, knowing nothing but a miracle was what could help me get back. All I hoped was this to be nightmare from which I would soon wake.
I heard someone say a loud “3…! 2…! 1…! Clear!”, and then,  everything faded away into absolute nothingness.

- Amisha Nakhwa.

Comments

Popular Posts